Reina's So Easy and Yummy Matzo Kugel
6 eggs 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c oil 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 lb, 3 oz apple sauce cinnamon sugar topping
1 c golden raisins 6 matzo
3/4 c white sugar 1 3 qt pyrex bowl, greased
- Beat the eggs
- Add oil, salt, vanilla and sugar
- Stir in applesauce and raisins
- Break matzo into bite sized pieces and dip in warm water just enough to slightly soften.
- Squeeze out any excess water and fold into egg mixture
- Pour all into a greased pyrex bowl and top with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon sugar
- Bake 1 hour in 375 oven Yield: 10-12
Note: Not essential to serve super hot.
Traditional Apple-Walnut Charoset
3 medium Gala or Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
1 1/2 c walnut halves, lightly toasted, cooled, coarsely chopped - processor-fine chop - ok too
1/2 c sweet red wine such as Manischewitz Extra Heavy Malaga
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- In a bowl, stir together all ingredients. Store covered, at room temperature, until ready to serve.
Makes about 4 cups.